Saturday, May 5, 2012

Florence Day 2 - Campanile, Uffizi, Piazza de Michelangelo

"Buon giorno Firenze!" This morning I tackled scaling all 414 steps of the Campanile known as Giotto's Bell Tower. The spiral staircase is so narrow that you have to stop at the top or bottom of a flight to let people pass you in the opposite direction! I definitely felt like I wanted to faint at times because the stairs seem never-ending and the wind and cold was unbearable (this is February after all). But once you get to the top, it is so rewarding! You have views of all of Florence and an incredible one of the Duomo. If the lines aren't long, this is worth it. 

Since Florence is the cradle of the renaissance, the Uffizi Gallery is home to some of the world's greatest art collection. Here I got to see my favorite painting of all time in person - The Birth of Venus by Botticelli. The painting is beautiful with its soothing colors, feminine elements, and romanticism. After getting lost in the museum, I went to the San Lorenzo Street Market. Florence is well known for leather, so try to pick up something leather. I saw so many gorgeous handbags and jackets, but walked away with a pink leather wallet and some souvenir novelties. Have cash on hand, but I noticed some stands do take credit cards (surprisingly). As with any crowded foreign place, beware of pick-pocketers, since its common here. And be prepared to haggle. 

Lunch was at a random trattoria called Mastrociliegia. The prices were fair and the food was good! Im finding out its hard to pick a bad place to eat in Florence. Every where you go, Tuscan food is amazing. At dusk, I already knew the place where I wanted to be and that's the Piazza de Michelangelo. This is a little far outside the city so my best advice would be, take a cab! Especially if you're trying to catch sunset like I was. Its a square built on a hilltop and you get a panoramic view of all of Florence while being away from it.  Take some time to appreciate the piazza itself. Dedicated to Michelangelo, it has a replica of the David Statue, amongst other works of art. This is one site you'd be foolish to miss. And even if you're not frozen as I was, end the night with a little cappuccino. 

Giotto's Bell Tower
One of the small windows from the Bell Tower
Duomo 


View of Piazza Republica from the Campanile
Birth of Venus by Botticelli c. 1486
San Lorenzo Market
Santa Maria Novella by SMN Station
Ponte Vecchio Bridge


Painter at Piazza Michelangelo


View from Piazza Michelangelo

No comments:

Post a Comment