Monday, April 23, 2012

Last Day in Rome - Piazza Campidoglio & Campo Dei Fiori

Sadly, this is my last full day in Rome! It went by so quick! It was a little of a rainy day, but luckily, it wasn't heavy enough to stop me from sight-seeing (not that it would have anyway!). At this point, I've done everything on my list for Rome, except for... of course.. shopping! But its okay, because the Porta Portese flea market is only open on Sundays! (I plan well). I took advantage of the Roma Pass I purchased by taking the bus along the Tiber river to the very end of the line to get here. It is swamped with people buying really cool items from jewelry, antiques, clothing , shoes etc. But be careful of your belongings because of pick-pocketers!  I ended up walking away with an Indian Silver spiky necklace before it started pouring! So back on the bus I went. From there I went to Campo Dei Fiori, which is like a farmer's/food market. I'm sure it is much nicer in the morning, but it seemed like most of the stands were closed already. However, the walk around this area is amazing. One thing I love about Rome is the ruins everywhere! You can walk in the street alongside ruins that are centuries old. Lunch was at Vinando, which I highly recommend.  It eventually got really packed, even though its located in a hidden alley - always a good sign. After that, I once again used the Roma Pass for free admission to the Musei Capitolini in Piazza Campidoglio. There are a lot of statues in there that are worth seeing - like this giant Zeus looking one. The last night in Rome, I hopped around grabbing drinks at various bars and ordered osso bucco and the house wine for dinner and it was the perfect way to leave this Ancient City. 















No comments:

Post a Comment