Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Siena - Cathedral and Piazza Del Campo

This morning, I traveled from Rome to Siena on Trenatalia and made it a stop for the night before moving on to Florence.  I was interested in Siena because it is the embodiment of a medieval city. I stayed at Hotel Italia and it was perfect. The breakfast was amazing, the room was clean, and the staff was friendly. The location was 5 minutes from the main transportation hub in Siena, but a nice 20 minute walk to town. I immediately went into town to the Piazza del Campo, where the famous Palio horse races take place. Its amazing how this piazza gets turned into a dirt race track. It is so small and I can clearly see why this is considered, a very dangerous race. Clearly, I missed the Carnival celebration here, because there was confetti all over the floor of the Piazza. I always hate arriving just when the party ends! I feel like throughout Italy so far, I've always missed the Carnival celebration! Of course I had to see the famous Siena Cathedral and it was the most beautiful Church in all of Italy. The interior is so opulent and of gothic architecture. It was built to be grander than the one in Rome, and I think it succeeded. It rivals the beauty of Gaudi's Sagrada de Familia in Barcelona for me. It also blows my mind how much money and power the church had when you're inside a structure like this. You cannot miss this! Overall, this town is what you would picture when you think of a medieval city. It is desolate and very hilly so be prepared to hike! Despite that, this town was very charming. Its perfect for a couple that just wants to relax and drink wine through Tuscany.



Piazza Del Campo
Piazza Del Campo

Carnivale Celebration
Gelato Italiano
One of the many hills and alleys in Siena





Siena Cathedral
Italian Romanesque-Gothic architecture.
The hexagonal dome is topped with Bernini's gilded lantern like a golden sun.
Medieval Architecture
The pulpit is made of Carrara marble and was sculpted between the end of 1265 and November 1268

The Main Alter

Siena - A medieval hilly countryside town

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful!! I bet your experiences are incredible. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Your comments are so thoughtful and means a lot to me! I hope you continue to follow. If you have any questions about my experiences... I'd love to share them with you.

    Best,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete