Saturday, April 7, 2012

Seafood and Meat Paella

On this particular Sunday, I wanted to a) have brunch and b) have a dinner party. I started by visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the morning. At noon, I had brunch and drinks at a nearby bar. Soon the mimosas turned into vodka sodas (typical) and before I knew it, I was drrruuunnnk!

I realized I had to get back into my neighborhood to go grocery shopping. I hadn't even decided what to make at this point yet, but ever since having Paella at a restaurant, I had been craving it. I think being drunk gave me liquid courage to even attempt what I thought was a complex recipe. But if I was in my right mind, I dont think I would've cooked it for the first time for a bunch of friends. Luckily it worked out and everyone loved it!

When my friends started to come over, I opened all the bottle stocked in my bar and the wine and liquor kept flowing. I'm not going to lie, I was drinking from noon to midnight (bad idea) and I was kind of drunk when I was cooking this. But honestly... this recipe is more intimating than it really is. So while I am not suggesting you get drunk before cooking this, I am saying don't be afraid to attempt it!

Total: 1 Hour
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and black pepper to taste
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces

3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
1 pinch saffron threads

1 bay leaf
1/2 bunch Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 quart chicken stock
2 lemons, zested
1 Spanish onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled

1 pound Mussels cleaned
1 pound Clams, cleaned
1 pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined

INSTRUCTIONS

In a medium bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper. Stir in chicken pieces to coat. Cover, and refrigerate.

To make paella saffron rice - Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a paella pan or large skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and rice. Cook, stirring, to coat rice with oil, about 3 minutes. Stir in saffron threads, bay leaf, parsley, chicken stock, peppers and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 20 minutes. *If you want to take a shortcut at this step, you can buy a package of saffron rice and prepare per box instructions... I won't tell anyone!*

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat. Fry up the garlic, onions and red peppers. Stir in marinated chicken; cook 5 minutes. Stir in the chorizo with the casing removed; cook 5 minutes.

After everything else is cooked, then you cook the seafood. Stir in shrimp, turning until both sides are pink. If you dont have room in your pan, you can use a separate one. Told you that you need a big pan! Lastly add in clams and mussels and cook until they open. Discard any shells that do not open.

Lastly, spread rice mixture onto a serving tray. Top with meat and seafood mixture and ENJOY!

For the appetizer, I made home-made chips and guacamole, which was all gone before I even took a photo! And some bread and dip.


=



No comments:

Post a Comment