Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pisa, Italy. A day trip from Florence

From Florence, you have the option of taking a couple day trips. I really wanted to go to Cinque Terre, which is 5 towns built on a coastal cliff-top. However, all the locals advised not to go because it was winter, the town was unfortunately flooded, and the trails were closed. Instead, I ended up venturing to Pisa, which I do not regret for a second! Words cannot describe the awe that struck me when I finally turn the corner of the street and see this tower actually leaning over!!! Obviously, I knew what to expect after seeing this is countless photographs, but it still did not prepare me to see this sight in person. The tower looks unreal, and its shocking to me how it hasn't fallen over yet! It truly is one the the world's most famous and precarious architectural feats. 

Here's what I learned about the tower mostly while eavesdropping on a tour group. The Leaning Tower of Pisa is actually a bell tower. Work on the ground floor of the white marble campanile began on August 8, 1173 and construction continued in three stages across 177 years. And of course, the infamous question - Why does it lean? The architects failed to realize was that the soil was unstable. After the first three stories were constructed, the ground began to sink, and the tower began to lean. Restoration is continually ongoing to stabilize it. This took my breath away and I felt like a kid seeing this. It still shocks me to this day.

The grounds of the tower are beautiful with its luscious green lawn, which everyone kept sneaking on to take a "propping up the tower" photo despite all the "keep off grass" signs. There is the Piazza del Duomo, dating from 1063. The first thing you notice upon walking up to the Duomo is the details in the bronze doors. Inside, it feels like a gallery housing several statues and important at works, all under a sixteenth century gorgeous wood ceiling. It reminds me of the Siena Cathedral with its striped marble, gothic architecture and the center marble pulpit. There is also the baptistry, a round white-marble building. Also inside are also some impressive statues.

Lunch was at La Buca. In my travel book, it was dubbed "a popular spot in the heart of Pisa. Buca draws the crowds to its pleasant terrace and the set-price lunch menu, which offers Tuscan cuisine at a reasonable price." Again, so hard to find a bad meal in Tuscany. Everything was delicious. If you ever find yourself in Pisa - go here. Pisa overall was such an incredible trip and my second favorite stop, next to Florence. I have what I think are some of the best photos here!!! Enjoy them below!

Yes it really looks like this!
Entering the gates...
In fronf of the Duomo and Leaning Tower
Love this place!
Amazing!
Bruschetta 
Fresh Pizza
Fresh pasta
Interior of La Buca
Detailed bronze doors
The interior marble reminds me of Siena Cathedral
Marble Pulpit
Lavish ceilings
Gallery of artwork inside

Gelato Break!
Details of my outfit
Back to Florence

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. Gratzie! I really appreciate it! Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Florence Italy tours. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about Florence Italy tours. Keep it up! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Following the death of Lorenzo de' Medici in 1492, he was succeeded by his son Piero II. When the French king Charles VIII invaded northern Italy, Piero II chose to resist his army. But when he realized the size of the French army at the gates of Pisa, he had to accept the humiliating conditions of the French king. These made the Florentines rebel and they expelled Piero II. With his exile in 1494, the first period of Medici rule ended with the restoration of a republican government.
    Leaning Tower of Pisa excursions, as well as to Siena, San Gimignano, the Cinque Terre and much more with florence italy tours

    ReplyDelete